Sunday, February 27, 2011

SINS are not bad

I've been inspired by the SINS movement, and decided to add my blog to the growing group of awesomeness that is already populating the web over there.

So, I'm a 28 years old NYC High School teacher who has had a lifelong battle with myself. I know exactly what to do to "lose weight," but I end up fatter, tired and unhappy every time.

This past January 2010 I made a decision to lose weight, and went on a Gym Binge. I took Spinning, Pump and Pedal, Step, Cardio Kick, Kick and Step, Buns, Buns, Buns, and Baby Weights. (Those last two might not have actually happened. But seriously, who makes up these names. They're either silly - Pump and Pedal? Or extremely boring - Step. Seriously, 'Step' was as exciting as you could make this sound? Although, after taking it, I understand.)

Fast forward to around Memorial Day 2010. I was exhausted, and had lost about five pounds. FIVE POUNDS? That was impossible. I was in the gym AT LEAST an hour, five days a week. I was eating 1100 calories. I needed to lose about 20 pounds. HOW DID I ONLY LOSE FIVE?

So, like all the times before, I quit. Again. My husband and I went to Greece in July, and I had been pretty much not doing much of anything physical for two months. I went to the gym occassionally, but nothing like the prior five months. I gained back the five pounds I had lost when I LOOKED at gyros in Greece. The additional two pounds came from eating them.

At least we had fun!


I joined Crossfit August 1st, 2010. My friend had been bugging me to do it since March, but it was too expensive, too hard, too much, too intense. Too EVERTHING. So I resisted. "I lift weights," I said. "Heavy ones! I just started using the 8 pounders in my Pump and Pedal class! Only two other girls lift that much!" Finally I gave in.

I wasn't afraid of heavy weights when I joined Crossfit. Despite only lifting baby weights before, I DID actually like it. So that wasn't the problem.

No, I was afraid that I would be the one girl who joined Crossfit and got fat. I was afraid of being the one girl who was unable to get healthy, unable to lose weight. I was afraid I would fail. Again.

In about three weeks, I lost eight pounds. I re-lost the weight I had initally lost, plus some. I looked less "puffy" all over. I was actually pleased with how I was starting to look. I was lifting heavier and heavier each time, and making some serious gains! I continued going with my husband (who, of course, is incredibly athletic and was able to do just about everything RX'ed right away.) about five days a week for the next five months.

Then, I hurt my back this past January. I was finally getting close to doing a workout RX'ed, and I hurt myself. I tried to work through the pain, and the tingling, and the numbness, only to have it get worse, and worse. Finally, I ended up in the hospital after going through a workout using only a PVC pipe. I needed to take a major break.

So here I am, it's going to be March, and after some serious PT I am not in pain anymore, and I am starting to get back into WODs. It was shocking, because I was afraid the world would end when I stopped Crossfitting. I thought everything would change; everyone would hate me, I would get a divorce, and I would be a useless fat blob.

Oddly enough, the world continued to spin. My husband, who is Mr. Freaking Crossfitter, still loves me. (LOL! Imagine if six weeks off of Crossfit ended an 11 year relationship? My thoughts go a little wild sometimes.) I rehabbed myself, and now I'm back Crossfitting (though not 100% yet), and plan on running a 1/2 marathon May 1st.

I would like this blog to become my outlet for my marathon fears, my Crossfit journey, my food struggles and my family adventures. Join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment